Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tuesday's Dinner

Tuesday's dinner consisted 0f Italian Wedding Soup and Oatmeal Dinner Rolls. I made up a large batch of soup and rolls a few weeks ago, threw the leftovers in the freezer, and enjoyed the ease of just heating it up.
VEGETARIAN WEDDING SOUP
Vegetable broth (see below)
Carrots
Celery
Onion
Spinach (I like using fresh)
Trader Joe's meatballs (Sarah turned me on to this brand)
Acini di Pepe, Ditilani, or other small pasta
Seasonings - salt, pepper, parsley, oregano or italian seasoning, garlic
Regular or Vegan parmesan cheese (optional)
Chop carrots, celery, and onion and saute in small amount of olive oil. Add vegetable broth and simmer. Bake meatballs and add them to soup. (I like to chop them up into small pieces). Season and add pasta and cook till almost done. Add spinach during the last few minutes of cooking. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top to serve.

Tip: Vegetable broth is pretty expensive to buy and it is easy to make your own. I save all washed vegetable peelings, leaves, stalks, etc. (carrots/onion, skin and all / celery / potatoes / leek stalks / etc.) and throw them in a gallon bag in the freezer. I keep adding vegetable "compost" until the bag is full. Then I simply cover them with water and simmer. Sometimes I roast the "compost" before I simmer it in water. The flavor is a little different. The broth can then be frozen in small batches for later use.

No comments:

Post a Comment